Handball is a team sport. The game is based on two teams of 7 players each. Over two periods of 30 minutes each, the members of the clubs find out who is the stronger by scoring against the opposing team.
The game is unpredictable and gambling, so its outcome is often used as a betting object. Knowing the betting odds in handball can help you beat the betting shops regularly.
What to turn in before betting on handball
Before confirming a bet, the bettor should study the specifics of the sport he has chosen to bet on. In handball, the key points are as follows:
- A club’s success depends largely on the performance of its goalkeeper, so a defeat is certain to await the mid-tier team if the main goalkeeper is dropped. In top teams, the substitute players are often as good as the starting players. But if the starting goalkeeper retires, it will affect the goal difference and it is better not to use a high field goal difference in favor of the favorite. Similar principles, by the way, are explained in India racing tips, where the experts take into account a lot of details.
- Handball is characterized by a big score differential at the end of a contest. Especially when the favorites and the underdogs of the tournament meet. Here the betting on the weaker team to win is almost a defeat. Cases, where this has happened, are very rare. The odds are, however, very high, but it does not pay to take any chances.
- If the leader has a clear lead at the end of the first half, the team will probably not let it go more than 3-4 points to end the game comfortably. That is why bets on total or handicap are justified mainly in live mode when after watching the first period you can estimate with what goal difference a handball match may end.
The margin in handball is high and experienced bettors advise choosing coupons with odds of at least 1.6.
The handball competitions always take place indoors. Therefore, any match disruption, which is often the case in open stadiums, is ruled out.
On top of that, the stability of the referees’ performance should be taken into account. Despite the dynamic nature of the match, refereeing errors are extremely rare in handball. Therefore this factor should also be removed from the possible events that can affect the outcome of the whole sporting match.
Types of bets in handball
The betting odds in this sport are diverse. There are plenty of single bets as well as multi-event bets – accumulator bets or systems and compound bets.
Match or halftime outcome
The simplest and most common type of bet is handball. Bets are settled on whether the team wins or loses the match or halftime, as well as the draw. In handball, it is possible, except for key contests. But only during regular time: it is followed by overtime. If in the extra period the teams still have not found out who is the better club, shots are taken from the 7-meter line.
In handball, the match cannot end with a draw. A win by one of the teams is mandatory. In most cases, the outcome is known in regulation time. Therefore, a P1 or P2 bet, if the favorite is correctly guessed, will play out. But when opponents equal in strength and motivation struggle, the game can be unpredictable.
Betting on the leader’s victory is justified in most cases. In handball, the underdogs rarely outperform the favorites. This is the nature of the sport – plenty of goals are scored and the leaders have a chance to prove their superiority throughout two halves of 30 minutes.
But a draw in regulation time is also possible. It is better to bet on it in the following cases:
- matches to make the playoffs or to win a major tournament;
- the teams are irreconcilable opponents;
- the goal difference in the first half was not more than two points for either club;
- the game is played in a ‘catch-up’ scenario, where one side is constantly being pushed forward and the other does not allow the leader to gain too big a lead that cannot be recovered within 1-2 minutes;
- the motivation of one or two teams forces the players to give 100%.
Most handball betting is on a team to win or lose in regulation time. This outcome occurs in 95% of the matches. Overtime is also a winner in 9 out of 10 cases. Guessing a series of shots from the 7-meter line is virtually impossible. But the odds for such an event will be at least 6.5, given the not-so-high odds for the sport in particular.
Total – more or less
In handball, the team will usually beat their opponent by 4+ goals. Such a lead with 5 minutes to go in regulation time is comfortable, as experienced handball players do not allow to lose more than three goals in a row. Provided the national team has strong forwards and an experienced goalkeeper, in a meeting of equal opponents such an advantage obtained at the start of the meeting may be the decisive factor that led one of the teams to victory.
When there is a chance that the leaders will win and the underdogs will lose by a certain score, it is possible to bet on the total. It consists of guessing both the outcome of the playing interval and the number of events that have occurred in that interval.
The total does not have to include exactly the goals scored and conceded. Although such an event is included in the schedule of all bookmakers who accept bets on handball. An alternative is a total for substitutions or penalties, as well as goals that were scored in extra time.
Some factors need to be taken into account for the betting on this event to be profitable:
- Team condition. It is important to understand the state of the leaders, how the main attacking and defensive lines play, as well as the qualification of the goalkeeper, who is often one of the key figures in the encounter.
- The line of scrimmage. In handball, there may be 9 players on the bench who will replace their teammates as the game progresses. Substitutions are common because the game itself is dynamic and requires a lot of physical effort. In the second half, given the fatigue of the leaders, there will be more substitutions than in the first half. Therefore, it is more profitable to bet on a higher total based on the results of the second round.
- The behavior of players – some leaders score a lot, but also frequently break the rules. This leads to disqualification and, as a consequence, to goals scored in periods when the opposing team had a numerical advantage.
Experienced forwards rarely fall below their average and therefore, knowing the motivation of the leaders, it is possible to bet on the number of goals scored by individual players.
Betting on handball totals is relevant when the bettor has a basic knowledge of the teams. Otherwise guessing the approximate outcome of the match, and in whose direction, is extremely difficult.
Handicap or Goal Line
This bet is essentially similar to the total because it is a guessing game. But a handicap has a wider range of values. And here too you can choose either goal difference in a loss or a good outcome for a particular team.
A handicap in handball is predominantly given to the weaker team. This is used to equalize the odds. The result is not difficult to predict. When a handicap bet is placed on the handicap of the weaker team, the points included in the handicap are added to the original result.
A handicap can be either positive or negative. A positive handicap classifies a loss with the opponents’ score not exceeding the marked figure. For example, F2(+4) means that the bet will stand if the other team loses, but the goal difference is less than 4. If the opponents win by more goals, the bet loses.
Betting on head-to-head is complicated by the fact that it is difficult to know before the match starts whether the advantage of the team named as the favorite is that high. That is why most bettors do not place handicap betting coupons until they have watched at least 10 minutes of the first half. Betting on a live handicap is a more sensible decision than buying a blind handicap coupon. But in the latter case, like all offline bets, the odds will be higher.
The handball betting line-up also allows you to choose special coupons. For example the removal of a player due to an infringement of the rules or the number of substitutions. To beat the bookmaker for a bigger amount of money, the odds of small odds are better summed up by including them in accumulator or system bets.